IGCP 567 > Project activities
- 11-14.09.2012 – 4th International Geologica Belgica Meeting – Special Session Geohazards and environmental changes in an archaeological context – Brussels, Belgium
Convenors: T. Missiaen(Belgium), D. Kaniewski (France) and V. Heyvaert (Belgium)
Scope: We invite papers that provide local and regional reconstructions of event-scale and permanent flooding. Of particular interest are interdisciplinary studies that focus on 1) interacting coastal and river environments, 2) impact of floods on past and present societies, and 3) predictions of future extreme events.
- 19-24.08.2012 – 33rd European Seismological Commission General Assembly – Thematic Session Paleoseismology – Moscow, Russia
Convenors: Andrey Korjenkov (Kyrgyzstan) and Alessandro Michetti (Italy)
Scope: Presentations describing new data, approaches, and methods used to identify evidence of paleoseismicity (for instance surface ruptures, liquefaction, tsunami deposits), to date it, and to retrieve source parameters are welcome.
- 2-10.08.2012 – 34th International Geological Congress (IGC), Australia 2012 XIX – Thematic Session Natural hazards and ancient societies
Convenors: Patrick Nunn (Australia), Bruce McFadgen (New Zealand), Iain Stewart (U.K.) and Manuel Sintubin (Belgium)
Scope: This session addresses multidisciplinary approaches to understanding natural hazards and human culture change during recent millennia. Key hazards are tectonic in origin (earthquakes, tsunamis, and volcanic eruptions) but other extreme natural phenomena are relevant. Understanding how natural hazards affected former societies can extend our knowledge about the resilience and adaptability of modern human communities to future hazard threats.
- 17-19.04.2012 – SSA 2012 Annual Meeting – Special Session Earthquakes and Tsunamis at Coastal Archaeological Sites – San Diego, California, U.S.A.
Convenors: Manuel Sintubin (Belgium), Berverly Goodman-Tchernov (Israel) and Tina Niemi (U.S.A.)
Scope: This session explores the records of earthquakes and tsunamis at coastal archaeological sites and methods for quantifying tsunami and seismic hazard parameters from archaeological data.
- 19-24.09.2011 – Corinth 2011 – 2nd INQUA-IGCP567 International Workshop on Active Tectonics, Earthquake Geology, Archaeology and Engineering – Corinth, Greece
- 20-27.07.2011 – XVIII INQUA Congress – Paleoseismology, megacities, and critical infrastructures – Bern, Switzerland
- 13-15.04.2011 – SSA 2011 Annual Meeting – Archeoseismology: Learning about Ancient Earthquakes from the Archeological Record – Memphis, Tennessee, U.S.A.
- 22-27.01.2011 – International Symposium on the 2001 Bhuj Earthquake and Advances in Earthquake Science, Gandhinagar, Gujarat, India – Earthquake Archaeology
- 04-08.10.2010 – Tectonic Crossroads: Evolving Orogens of Eurasia-Africa-Arabia – Ankara, Turkey
- 23-26.09.2010 – XIX Congress of the Carpathian Balkan Geological Association, Thessaloniki, Greece – Special Session Earthquake archaeology and geoarchaeology around Eastern Mediterranean and Black Sea
- 02-07.05.2010 – European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2010, Vienna, Austria – Environmental hazards and Ancient Societies: Lessons from the Past?
- 17-21.01.2010 - HOKUDAN2010 International Symposium on Active Faulting, Awaji City, Japan - Archaeoseismology, in search of antique seismoscopes
- 07-14.09.2009 – 1st INQUA-IGCP567 International Workshop on Earhtquake Archaeology and Palaeoseismology, Baelo Claudia, Spain – Archaeoseismology and Palaeoseismology in the Alpine-Himalayan Collisional Zone
- 16-23.02.2009 – International Workshop and Field Trip, Israel & Jordan – The Dead Sea Rift as natural laboratory for earthquake behaviour, prehistorical, historical and recent seismicity
- 7-12.09.2008 – European Seismological commission ESC 2008, 31st General Assembly, Hersonissos, Crete, Greece – Session Methods to parameterize archaeoseismological events and case studies
- 16-18.04.2008 – Seismological Society of America 2008 Annual Meeting, Santa Fe, New Mexico, USA – Special Session Archaeoseismological Methodologies: Principles and Practices
Photo gallery IGCP 567
- HOKUDAN2010, Awaji City, Japan